SalsaPosted: September 4, 2011
Tomatoes are what I live for in the summer. Don’t get me wrong, I love the nectarines and peaches, and the occasional pluot, but what makes me drool the other 11 months of the year for is fresh, red, vine ripened tomatoes.
My favorite way to eat them is thickly sliced with a dash of pepper on toasted whole wheat bread with a dab of mayo and a slice of provolone. AKA the BEST FREAKIN sandwich in the world.
We did a trade at the market, the classic trade. Plums for tomatoes, and boy was it worth it. After many failed attempts, and many more “meh” results, we hunkered down to make the perfect salsa, 10lbs of tomatoes, 2 jalapenos, 1 onion, 1 big bunch of cilantro, lime, garlic and salt later we were close. Here are the results.
1. Pulse the tomatoes in the food processor until just chopped
3. Chop and add peppers (we like it very spicy)
4. Blend up peppers as well (we used probably 5 spicy peppers)
5. Blend up onion, cilantro and the juice of 2 limes
6. Add pepper, onion, cilantro, lime mix to tomatos
7. Mix gently
8. Nom nom nom.
With 10lbs of tomatoes we ate salsa for 5 days, but it was delightful. I think it could’ve been a little spicier, but other than that it was pretty incredible stuff.
I love summer!